How to Start a Florist Business
Any memorable day, a wedding, a special dinner or even a funeral, there will always be an opportunity to express a special feeling through a flower arrangement.
That is why today we share with you the guide to starting a florist business, which has important qualities for those who want to start a nice and pleasant business:
- requires a moderate initial investment
- operates with few staff
- training as a florist can be taken in a short time
Also, if you develop it properly, you can have a good extra income since the margins on the sale of flowers can be very attractive.
INVERSION FOR A FLORERÍA
The investment for setting up this business basically includes:
- Local or point of sale . This can be a kiosk or a cart. The advantage is that its costs are lower compared to commercial premises and you also do not need to be very large, so the rent for the space will not be very high.
- Lighting . A good combination of natural and artificial lighting will give your business a very nice touch and attract more customers. Remember that the product enters through the eyes, so the better it looks, the better.
- Water service . It is very important to have access to this vital service for the maintenance of flowers that must be sold fresh and look fresh at all times.
- Services. Electricity, water and telephone. Fundamental for the proper operation of your florist business.
- Catalogue. It is important to have a varied catalog of arrangements available to your customers. In such a way that they have options to choose from in terms of styles, sizes and prices.
- Special area for preparation of arrangements that should be a table or counter with the essential utensils and some shelves. In some cases, the preparation could be outside your point of sale but there will always be some last minute requests that you must be able to make at that precise moment.
- Diversity of materials and wrapping paper to offer a variety of presentations in flower arrangements. This point is key to the success of your flower shop because remember that flowers are a very emotional product, so if it looks better…, it sells better. You must have scissors, ribbons, bows, stuffed animals, etc.
STEPS TO START YOUR FLORIST
Taking into consideration that the raw material of this business is flowers, you should give great importance to getting at least a couple of flower suppliers that can supply you with a variety at wholesale prices. This is key in this industry because it has to do directly with your costs and therefore with your profit margins.
If you investigate carefully, you will surely find suppliers of excellent products in your area or nearby. Always remember that the profit is when you buy.
OTHER IMPORTANT ASPECTS IN SETTING UP THE BUSINESS
The variety of flowers required for setting up a good florist includes:
But I must emphasize that the leading, best-selling product of this type of business is undoubtedly roses in their different colors. It is important to take care of the quality of the flowers since the buyer definitely expects them to be fresh, of beautiful colors, free of pests or diseases, properly cut and totally healthy.
Another key detail that can multiply your sales possibilities and boost the growth of your florist business is the home delivery service . This is an added value that many clients value and demand, since part of a special detail of flower arrangements is that they are delivered to the door of the person they want to please.
Of course, implementing a home delivery service represents a greater investment, so you could plan it in a second phase of your business or subcontract the service by errands , which reduces the initial investment costs and allows you to offer the service when it is needed. require.
MARKETING FOR A FLORERIA
In principle, you must create a marketing plan that allows you to publicize your products by offering promotions and special prices. The decoration of your point of sale is extremely important because it will be what will mainly attract the attention of your potential customers.
Today it is extremely important to consider the possibility of setting up a digital strategy for your company. In the case of florist or florist businesses, this essentially speaks of 3 things:
- Have an online catalog through a website, with a payment system
- Develop content on social networks to promote your flower arrangements and thus reach your potential customers
- Invest a percentage of your promotion and advertising budget to pay for traffic generation campaigns for seasons or special days
Finally, as in any business, I recommend you work on your business plan in detail, develop a sales strategy (very important) and inform yourself about the requirements, procedures and documentation to legalize your business according to the requirements and regulations in your city.
That way you can operate in order and focused on the success of your business.